The biggest question around Brazil’s World Cup plans is simple: will Neymar be in the squad or not? The answer depends on one final selection from Carlo Ancelotti, and the timing makes it even more dramatic. Brazil is set to announce its final 26-man group on Monday, May 18, 2026, and Neymar’s status is the main storyline.
Why his name is still in the mix
Neymar made the preliminary 55-man list sent to FIFA, which keeps him eligible for the final cut. Reports in Brazil have suggested that Ancelotti was leaning toward keeping him, and Neymar himself has sounded confident after recent club matches with Santos. He has said his body feels better and that he has been improving game by game.
That said, nothing is official until the final squad is read out. Until then, the question remains open, even if the signs point toward inclusion.
Health has been the real issue
This debate is not about talent. Neymar’s ability has never been the problem. The concern is whether his body can hold up through a major tournament schedule after a long run of injuries and recovery work.
- He has not played for Brazil since October 2023.
- He suffered a major left-knee injury in World Cup qualifying against Uruguay.
- He missed all of 2024 at international level.
- His move back to Santos was meant to help him regain rhythm.
- Muscle problems continued to interrupt his return through 2025 and 2026.
In April 2026, he also went through PRP treatment on the knee in an effort to speed up healing and stay available for both club and country.
What his 2026 form says
When Neymar has been on the field for Santos this year, he has produced useful numbers. Different reports have placed him at six goals and three assists in 13 matches, while others have given him slightly higher contribution totals. The exact total matters less than the bigger picture: he has looked productive enough to justify serious consideration.
The real test is not whether he can still create chances. It is whether he can handle three group-stage games in a short window, plus whatever comes after that if Brazil advances deep into the tournament.
Why Ancelotti changed course
Earlier in the year, Ancelotti was direct about Neymar needing to be fully fit before earning a World Cup place. At that point, the tone suggested he was not ready. Since then, however, the situation around the squad has shifted.
- Rodrygo and Estevao Willian both picked up injuries.
- That opened room for another attacker.
- Senior players inside the squad reportedly backed Neymar’s return.
Those factors have made the decision less rigid. What once looked like a tough no now feels much closer to a yes.
What Brazil’s group stage looks like
If Neymar is named, he will join a Brazil side that already has several attacking options. Vinicius Junior, Raphinha, Matheus Cunha, and Gabriel Martinelli are all part of the conversation, so Neymar would likely be used in a flexible role rather than as a guaranteed starter every match.
Brazil’s Group C schedule is straightforward:
- June 13: Brazil vs. Morocco at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey
- June 19 or 20: Brazil vs. Haiti at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia
- June 25 or 26: Scotland vs. Brazil at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens
A first-place finish would send Brazil into the Round of 32 against a third-place team from another group.
Why this decision matters so much
Neymar is not just another name on the list. He is Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, and he has already played in three World Cups. A fourth tournament would place him in rare company and add another major chapter to his career.
So when the final squad is announced, it will do more than answer one simple question. It will reveal whether Brazil is ready to trust one of its greatest players again on the biggest stage.
